Customer Communication

Dare Marina’s Service Department prides itself in providing its customers feedback as repair progresses. This feedback includes both the good news and the not so good news. We don’t like our customers to be surprised when the job is done. In providing these updates, we have found that pictures of the conditions found along with the diagnosis and prognosis improves communications considerably. In addition to high resolution digital photography, we have a computer connected borescope, that allows us to look inside an engine and record the resulting image digitally. All digital images can be enhanced with arrows and text to improve communication. Below are some typical examples of repair communications.

Example #1

[Copied from a e-mail to a customer] We found a cooling problem with one of the engines during the final stages of the cooling system fix. One of the rubber cooling hoses on the engine was full of goo. This is the cooling circulation hose that not only circulates cooling water through one part of your engine but also goes through your hot water heater. (In this way the hot water heater uses the engine’s heat to make hot water for your fresh water system).

Example #2

[Copied text and images from e-mails to a customer (some editing to maintain continuity]
…As per your concern and our discussion, I went into cabin and switched AC power to genset to pick up a load on the engine. The engine ran great for a minute or two, and then the engine’s RPMs became unstable. I shut the genset down. The genset smelled like it was flooded.

From the information above I think there is a good chance some trash has gotten into the carb fuel feed circuit and is causing the engine to run too-rich. I plan to lean out the carb by turning the fuel-mixture adjustment screw while the engine is under load. If the engine becomes stable, then I plan to pull the carb and go after the trash suspected in the fuel circuit. I also noticed that your water strainer was leaking badly and the bonding strap was broken. (see picture) Do you want me to remove the strainer and see if we can fix it?

 

Example #3

The pictures below show the inside of your carb. Note the black varnish specs and deposits in the bowl of the carb and on the solenoid. We found the same sort of stuff inside your carb’s jets. The technician gave the carb a good cleaning in our ultra-sonic carb cleaning chemical sink. Luckily the carb is so new we did NOT need to buy a carb repair kit or a gasket kit. The old stuff cleaned up fine.

Following the re-installation of the carb, the genset started well, picked up a load well, and ran fine. We let it cool down for a few hours and started it again and it lit right off. Our final test will be tomorrow after it has sat all night. (We may need to fine tune the choke setting).

 

Back to the strainer – the old brass rods that held the strainer assembly together broke when we tried to pull the nuts off them. My guess is that they had some corrosion damage before we even began, and may have been part of the reason the strainer leaked in the first place. We replaced the broken brass rods with Stainless All-thread and the old stainless nuts with new stainless lock nuts.